When parents divorce, hurt feelings and judgmental attitudes do not magically evaporate like the morning fog. At times, one parent may feel that the other parent mistreats their children by failing to meet a need. For example, a parent does not return the child’s clothing at the end of a visit or the other parent changes the sleeping arrangements in a way that the hurt parent disagrees with.

The answer, dear parent, is to resolve the problem between yourselves. Calling Child Protective Services for an issue that does not involve a child being physically or psychologically injured or neglected in an appreciable way does not solve problems.

If you see that your child is injured or being mistreated and neglected, then you should call the police. Take your child to obtain medical treatment. Do you believe that the police should be involved? Should a doctor be treating the child for some injury or neglect? Is this really an issue that needs to be raised? Or are you expecting perfection from the person to whom you are no longer married? Are you being petty?

If you disagree with the other parent’s parenting style or life choices (that do not endanger the child), have a conversation about it. You must decide whether the issue rises to the level of calling your divorce attorney to request a contempt motion, for which you will have to pay. If your children are safe and not exposed to any dangerous people, experiences, or situations, then you might consider letting it go.Unknown.jpeg

CPS should be used for dangerous situations (a child being hurt, physically neglected). If you had the wherewithal to hire an attorney, then you should use the legal means to address your issues before a court. Getting CPS involved in your children’s life means getting the government involved in your life. CPS will turn the microscope on your home as well as your former spouse’s home. Would you sacrifice your rights to your children to harass your former spouse?